I love the feeling a new year brings, all the hopes, dreams, and possibilities. It’s so fun to make goals for the new year and list all the things I want to do.
I love when it’s time to set new goals, each year some of my goals are similar and others are different. Some goals I reach and others not so much, I hope I’m not the only one!
New Year, Better Me
For me, the new year brings a desire to do better and improve. Often during this time of the year the phrase new year, new me starts to make the rounds on social media. I really, really don’t like this phrase. I like the old me is just fine thanks.
But to be completely honest while I like most things about myself there are things I want to improve. I just wish the phrase that is shared so frequently was something like
I don’t want to leave the old me behind, I’m really fond of myself. But with the new year I do want to become better.
A big part of improving is setting goals. Without a goal, it’s hard to measure progress and improvement.
When I’m setting goals I follow the guidelines for setting SMART Goals. These Goals are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound.
At the beginning of the year and at other random times I like to set goals for different areas of my life.
7 Areas to Set Goals
There are a lot of different goals we can set for the new year. Some of the areas I like to look at and set specific goals for include:
- Family/ Friends
Here are some ideas of goals you can set for the new year. I have broken them into categories to make it easier to find the goal ideas you are wanting.
You don’t need to set goals in each of these categories, you can pick and choose the areas you would like to improve.
Here are a few ideas of goals that you can set for your family or as a family for the coming year.
- Take a family Trip to a new place
- Stay in touch with extended family and friends
- Visit Grandparents
- Less Screen Time (Set time to unplug)
- Make Meaningful Memories
- Eat Dinner Together
- Nightly Story Time
- Have weekly or monthly Family Game Nights
- Learn a New Skill together
- Spend Time outside together
- Monthly One-on-One Date Nights (Mommy-Son or Daughter, Daddy – Son or Daughter)
Here are a few ideas of ways to make your marriage a priority this year.
- Weekly/ Monthly Date Night with your Spouse
- At Home Date Night
- Couples Vacation
- Say ‘I Love you’ every day
- Spend time together Unplugged
- Read a Book together and discuss it
- Workout Together
- Go to bed at the same time
- Get up at the same time
- Eat Breakfast/Dinner together
- Lose Weight
- Eat more Fruits and Veggies
- Drink more Water
- Exercise Daily
- Cut out Soda
- Quit Eating Out
- Go to Church
- Read Scriptures
- Have Family Night
- Keep a Journal
- Do some Family History
Personal goals include things you want to improve or stop doing and things you want to learn or do as an individual.
- Read (fiction or personal development book
- Wake up Earlier
- Have a Morning Routine
- Learn a New Language
- Keep a Journal
- Set Goals for each month and review them
- Be Positive
- Be Present
- Get out of Debt (Set a Debt Free Date)
- Save Money for a Vacation
- Create an Emergency Fund
- Purchase a house
- Pay off Car
- Save for retirement
- Create a Monthly budget and use it!
- Cut back on expenses
- Do a no-spend Month
- Start a Side Hustle to earn extra income
I’m a stay at mom who blogs so for me work is this blog. Many of these goal ideas in this category will work even if your not a blogger.
- Attend a conference
- Create multiple streams of income
- Start a Side Hustle
- Create a Product
- Work toward a promotion
- Do additional training
Use this free printable Goal Sheet to write down a couple goals for each category in your life.
I’m so excited to make things happen this year! What goals have you set for the new year?
Save this post on Pinterest!